Monday, June 1, 2009

Hero Hill Interviews :: k-os


HH: First off, let me say congrats on Yes! I've been a big fan since
your appearance on Top Of The World (although I do remember seeing Musical Essence on Rap City!), and I think this is as strong as anything else you've done. I read somewhere that you went "back to basics" on this album, was that in terms of the lyrics, the music, or just in your general approach to the album?

k-os: i think the spirit of the album is basic many of the first songs came out in my bedroom. not a lot of thinking went into schematic just alot of frenzied frantic excitement! it was casual and really natural
and basic in terms of not considering myself to have anything to uphold or an image to continue.


What is the creation process like for you, do have the songs written before the beats/production is done? This being your forth full-length, is that process any easier for you now compared to when you were starting out?
i watched TV more than i usually do. Just flipping back and forth between channels and seeing the horrid/boring state of Television inspired me to do something vibrant. I think songs are already out there in the ether and its the job of the songwriter to pull them down into physical reality and manifest their existence. Like a dream- these tunes might have haunted me and then gradually bit by bit -i put them together, kind of like remembering your old combination lock from your locker of grade 12 ..

In my opinion, you were one of the earliest people to mix a hefty dose of indie rock influence into your hip hop batter, and it seemed like you took some unfair heat for that, having to defend how "hip hop" you are. Now that plenty of people, including some of hip hop's biggest names, have done the same, do you feel vindicated at all?
i think artists take chances because we have to. We are forced to be who are in the moment. Part of that quest comes with the understanding that what you do.. the risky business you offer the world may or may not be accepted -and when it is too ahead of the curve it can be often ignored or made fun of! That being said, i think i am happy when artists in any 'form' of music expand their vocabulary. So more than vindication i feel excitement at the possibility that the music of my childhood is growing up!

I think I WIsh I Knew Natalie Portman is awesome, was this your first time working with Saukrates? He's always been a favorite of mine, and I've thought he should be bigger in this country (that's Canadian hip hop for you!) than he is.
Sauks is one of my favorite rappers period! no comma! This was the first time we worked but its been a long time in the making.
i hope to do a video for this song and expose more people in Canada to Saukrates a hip hop Ledgend!


For the rest of the interview CLICK HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment